Dorset museums and libraries
Dorset County Council is proposing the following cuts to its cultural services budget in 2011/12:
• reducing the number of staff supporting museums, arts and sports grants, and in the Dorset History Centre;
• reducing grants to museums;
• reducing the opening hours of the Dorset History Centre;
• on the basis that maintaining a branch network of 34 libraries is no longer affordable, there is a proposal to retain a core council-run service based on accessibility criteria while maintaining a good geographical spread. The council can explore the possibility of transferring up to half of the current libraries stock to communities to run, this proposal requires more detailed work
In addition, plans are already underway to ensure the adult learning and school libraries services will be at least cost-neutral, if not income generating.
- Further info: www1.dorsetforyou.com/COUNCIL/commis2009.nsf/4181A3CB283FAC95802577F300321B0E/$file/Microsoft Word - Dec10 Addressing the budget deficit.pdf
- Source: www1.dorsetforyou.com/COUNCIL/commis2009.nsf/4181A3CB283FAC9580257…
- Posted by: Tommy Hardy at 6:23pm on 17 December 2010
Does this cut affect you or someone you know?