Bristol and District Anti-Cuts Alliance
The Bristol & District Anti-Cuts Alliance was formed in July of this year by members of local branches of the public sector unions. Since then, it has grown to a substantial organisation with almost all unions being represented on it. It has the support of the Bristol Trades Union Council and the Joint Trade Union Committee of Bristol City Council. Its Joint Chairs are John McInally, National Vice-President of the Public and Commercial Services Union, and Nina Franklin, National Vice-President of the National Union of Teachers.
Our aims are as follows:
• To campaign against the proposed cuts in public services and privatisations by the Coalition Government.
• To unite local trade unions and voluntary and community groups in this campaign.
• To organise events such as demonstrations and rallies at appropriate times.
• To organise support for specific groups of workers in dispute or under threat as a result of the cuts.
• To counter through a variety of means the arguments being put about in favour of cuts by the Tory media e.g. “Cuts are inevitable”, “The public sector is feather-bedded”, “We’re all in it together for the sake of the nation”, etc, etc, in order to win hearts and minds for what will be a long and hard campaign.
We hold regular, open meetings to discuss the campaign and have a Steering Committee which is expanding as more groups join us. We are planning a number of events in particular, a demonstration on the 20 October, the day of the Public Spending Review, and a much larger South West Regional Rally and Demonstration in Bristol on the following Saturday 23 October.
We invite your branch / organisation to join the campaign to save public services and formally affiliate to the Bristol & District Anti-Cuts Alliance. There is no affiliation fee but we ask for a donation as we already have substantial costs in producing thousands of leaflets and will need a lot more.
- Website: www.bristolanticutsalliance.org.uk/
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0117 9556198